Title: Scheme survey lip
Scheme lip, adult human.
1. red (transitional) zone.
2. keratinized stratified squamous epithelium (outer side).
3. non-keratinized stratified squamous epithelium (inner side).
4. hair shaft.
5. hair follicle.
6. sebaceous gland.
7. cross-section of circumoral muscle.
8. labial glands with draining ducts.
9. infiltration of lymphocytes.
Keywords/Mesh: oral cavity, mouth, lip, red zone, skin, sebaceous gland, stratified epithelium, labial gland, histology, POJA collection
Title: Lip, outer (left) and inner side (right)
Stain Azan, human. Left image: keratinized squamous epithelium with thin red cornified layer, hair follicle, sebaceous glands and skeletal muscle fibers (orbicularis oris).
Right image: non-keratinized epithelium with high, narrow dermal papillae and more capillaries.
Mixed labial glands (sero-mucous), few skeletal muscle fibers in the submucosa.